Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tradd's first injury


November 2, 2009 marked the day of Tradd's first injury. It's inevitable that something will happen along the way... bumps, bruises, skinned knees... they are all a part of childhood. With Vang, her first real accident was rolling off the bed. It scared the living daylights out of me and still to this day I get the chills thinking about it. You learn from your past mistakes though. Tradd is never left alone on furniture, especially now that he's rolling all over the place. His first accident was different.


Drew is on vacation this week so he was nice enough to get up with Tradd at 6am while I got to sleep in a bit longer. I took my time taking a shower, and dilly-dallyed around on the computer while Drew took on daddy duty. I went upstairs to get dressed for work and noticed that the trash hadn't been taken out, and remembered immediately that it was trash day! So I yell down to Drew and we both gather up the trash and he goes to take it outside. Tradd was laying on his blanket on the floor doing tummy time/back time/rolling around... exercising all of those tiny muscles! Well, the dogs saw Drew go outside and they got frenzied and ran into the living room to see what was going on. Well, I guess they didn't notice the little happy bundle of joy on the ground because ONE of the dogs stepped on my little man! And to make matters worse... it was in the face, in the eye. A 60+ lb dog! my little man Screamed bloody murder as I ran downstairs and scooped him up and that's when I noticed the blood tricking from under his eye! It was already puffy and turning black and blue. "I'm the worst mom on earth" I thought and went straight into panic mode. I grabbed my phone, called the pediatricians, only to get the "on call nurse"... and she says to ME in a condescending voice "You'll have to call back at 8:30 to schedule an appointment"... Didn't she know who I was! My baby was hurt and I needed to help him! So I said a few choice words to her and hung up.


By this point Tradd was settling down but his eye was still bleeding... a million things went through my head... "did the dogs scratch his eye? Is his cheekbone broken? Does he have a concussion?" I made Drew get a flashlight and check his pupils to make sure he was dilating... he was. No concussion. Whew.


8:30 seemed to take FOREVER. I had to go to work so I sat by the phone until it was time to call... the pedi had an open appointment at 9:20 so I booked it. Only 50 min until I know my little guy is OK.


So Drew takes Tradd to his appointment, and to my delight, he came out with a clean bill of health. Well, almost. He still had the bloody cut, and was bruising up and alitle puffy, but there were no broken bones, his eye was fine, and mom can finally relax :)


And look, its even less puffy 12 hours later, which means its ALREADY healing!

0 comments: